The best outdoor water toys for toddlers can turn your backyard into a summertime fun park!
Spring and summer bring great opportunities to introduce toddlers and young children to the joy of water toys. Or, give them as a gift at Christmas to help parents get a head start on the summer fun!
Water play helps young ones learn cause and effect, improve motor skills, and practice coordination. Not to mention, they are just plain fun!
Here are a few of what we think are the best outdoor water toys for toddlers in 2020!
Heads up that the links on this page take you to Amazon and if you buy something through a link, we may get a small commission at no additional cost to you. Read our full disclosure here. We hope you enjoy our toy and gift suggestions!
Best Outdoor Water Toys for Toddlers
NEW! Step2 Ball Buddies Adventure Center Water TableBall Buddies Water Table
The latest addition to the Ball Buddies line from Step2, is the new Ball Buddies Adventure Center Water and Activity Table.
From what we’ve seen, this water table toy is the most versatile and comes with the most accessories of any on our list! Here’s what we like about this new outdoor water toy for toddlers:
- Two tiered for lots of play room
- Comes with vehicles, balls and buckets
- Fun with or without water for multi-seasonal play
According to some parents, the assembly was a bit challenging, but despite that, the reviews from consumers on and off Amazon are extremely positive.
Considering the versatility and unique features of this water table, we think it’s definitely worth considering as an addition to your backyard water toys.
Age: 18 months+
Step2 Fiesta Cruise Sand and Water TableFiesta Cruise Sand & Water Table
Released two summers ago is the Fiesta Cruise Sand and Water Table by Step2. The whole cruise ship theme is so cute and is sure to inspire lots of pretend play adventures!
Here’s a few reasons why it makes our list of the best outdoor water toys for toddlers.
- Bow section holds water or sand
- Includes a lid to cover sand
- Comes with 4 figures, slides, diving board and accessories
- Umbrella protects little ones from sun
- Large enough for multiple kids to play
So far, the Fiesta Cruise Ship has great reviews, and it was a Toy Insider recommended summer toy for toddlers!
Tropical Rainforest Backyard Water Table
Another favorite backyard water toy for toddlers from Step2 is the Tropical Rainforest Table below. I really love the animal theme and the fun accessories!
- Take water play to a new level of splish-splash fun with this outdoor water...
- Molded-in rainforest detail and jungle-themed critter toys spark kids'...
- Pour water on the rainforest canopy to create realistic rainfall sounds and...
Little Tikes Spiralin’ Seas Waterpark Play TableSpiralin’ Seas Waterpark Play Table
Next on our list of the best outdoor water toys for toddlers is the Spiralin’ Seas Waterpark Play Table. There’s lots of reasons to love this backyard water toy for toddlers!
- Tons of gadgets to twist, turn, and pull
- Each action causes a different reaction in the water
- comes with balls scoop and squirty toys
- Toddlers love watching the balls go ‘roud the Ferris wheel!
- Very sturdy
If the scooping and dropping gets old, the tykes can always squirt each other with the character balls.
This little water table will provide years of backyard water toy fun, long after the toddler stage is over.
Age: 2-6 years
Anchors Away Water Table for Toddlers
Another very popular water table from Little Tikes is this Anchors Away Pirate Ship table featured below. Little swashbucklers will love the pirate theme and all the fun interactions!
- Fun pirate ship themed outdoor, water play table loaded with spinning...
- Water moves with pump or by pouring water into the crows nest
- Aim and squirt water from the water cannon
Step2 Spill and Splash Seaway Water TableSpill & Splash Seaway Water Table
Toddlers will get lots of practice in group play and cooperation with the Spill and Splash Seaway Water Table. Here’s why I love this backyard water toy for toddlers:
- Large enough for multiple kids to play comfortably
- Two tiers for different playing options
- Lots of accessories like figures, cups and scoops
- Includes an umbrella for sun protection!
This one is a great choice for families with siblings and since it’s rated up to 8 years, it’s entertaining for a wide range of ages. Read the reviews on this one for more reasons why it’s one of the best water toys for toddlers!
Age: 18 Months – 8 years
Step2 Cascading Cove Sand and Water Table
The Cascading Cove Water Table has both a water and a sand play area for kids. This fun backyard water toy for toddlers has several really nice features:
- Large enough for multiple kids to play
- Includes an umbrella
- Comes with a cover that doubles as a car track!
- Drain holes in both sides
- Very sturdy
I love the sand and water feature of this one – it’s sure to provide many years of warm weather entertainment for the kiddies!
If you want to reduce the chances of having a big batch of mud (because, kids) you could always fill both sides with water and forget the sand altogether.
Age: 18 Months – 5 years
This table comes with a few accessories, but you might want to pick up a pack of sand and water plastic toys to go with it. The one below is really cheap. Also, here’s a set of cute plastic trucks toddlers can play with on the track.
Dino Dig Sand & Water Table
If you like the sand and water combo, the new Dino Dig Sand & Water Table featured below is a great one to consider. The Dino theme is really fun and inspires imaginative adventures for the little ones to explore. It comes with dinosaur play figures too!
- This all-in-one kids’ sensory table by Step2 features double-sided sand...
- Two-sided water activity table features an adorable dinosaur theme,...
- Use the double-sided rake and shovel to dig to the bottom to find the...
Step2 Duck Dive Water TableDuck Dive Water Table
As you can see, water tables are extremely popular backyard water toys for toddlers and the Step2 brand has several really nice ones. This cute Duck Dive Table has one of the lowest price tags of all these featured water toys for toddlers.
Here’s some unique details about this fun toddler water toy:
- Crank in the center makes the water swirly
- Comes with a water tower, ducks, a frog and scoop
- Ducks and frog are also water squirters
- Kids can “spring” the ducks and frog back into the water!
This one is a nice small size for patios, a lot of fun, has great reviews and the price is ducky 😉
Age: 18 Months+
Rain Showers Splash Pond is a Fun Backyard Water Toy for ToddlersRain Showers Splash Pond Water Table
The Rain Showers Splash Pond Water Table is my favorite water table playset. Toddlers love playing with the rainfall feature!
Here’s some more reasons why this top selling water table is one of the best backyard water toys for toddlers:
- Large enough for multiple kids to play together
- The slides and water wheels can be rearranged for different play experiences
- Springboard to flip the toys back into the water
- Comes with several play accessories
Parents love how much this water table entertains their toddlers, despite the bit of assembly time it takes.
The Step2 brand has recently come out with the Rain Showers and Unicorns Water Table which is abs adorbs! It’s designed very similarly to the Splash Pond table, but has a unicorn theme. It’s equally challenging to put together, but parents and toddlers are still loving it!
Age: 18 Months – 8 years
Finding Dory and Paw Patrol Water Toys for Toddlers
There are two more popular water tables for toddlers that I want to add. One is a fun Dory themed water table . It features a slide, swirl action, and Dory and friends squirty toys.
The other is the Sea Patrol Water Table that little Paw Patrol fans will love because it includes Ryder and friends and lots of fun accessories.
- Get water whirlin' and swirlin' with the center whirlpool spinner
- Finding Dory themed water table features three squirting Finding Dory...
- Send Dory and her friends for a wild ride down the slide
- Send the Paw Patrol Sea Patrol heroes on a water-themed rescue mission with...
- Pour water into the lookout tower to send the characters sliding down with...
- Flex fine motor skills using the side flipper and whirlpool spinner, and...
- TOY TIP: When your toddler gets older (3 years and up), you can fill the water tables with beans and use them indoors in colder weather! This wouldn’t work for younger kids who still put things in their mouths though.
More Outdoor Water Toys for Toddlers
Along with water tables, there are lots of other fun water toys for wee ones to enjoy outdoors. Here’s a few of our favorite pools, mats and sprinklers for toddler outdoor fun.
Intex Rainbow Ring Inflatable Play Center and PoolIntex Rainbow Ring Play Center
Sometimes little ones just want to dive right in and get wet and the Rainbow Ring Water Play Center is perfect for that! Here’s a few more reasons why this is on our list of the best outdoor water toys for toddlers:
- Includes a water spray feature
- Lots of variety – ring toss, balls, slide and more!
- Holds 77 gallons
- Engaging enough for older kids too
Kids can play with the ring toss, throw the balls down the gutters, go on the slide or just hang out under the shower spray. There’s so much to do that the whole family will want to play in this on a hot summer day!
Here are a couple more outdoor inflatable pools for toddlers and young kids that are very popular!
Banzai Sprinkle and Splash Play MatSprinkle & Splash Play Mat
Toddlers love marveling at water sprays! The Sprinkle and Splash Play Mat connects to a hose and squirts water at different heights for youngsters to play in. Here’s some nice features of this fun backyard water toy for toddlers:
- 54 inches diameter
- Center indents as it fills, making a shallow pool
- No need to inflate – easy setup!
This simple water toy is lots of fun for toddlers and a really great price, too!
Age: 18 Months+
Octopus and Unicorn Backyard Sprinkle Pools for Toddlers
For a larger splash pad with a little more depth, check out the fun Octopus and Unicorn pools below. The water height adjusts with the water pressure, so they are great for little ones or older kids too.
- 【 Playful Octopus Design】: Features a wading pool construction makes it...
- 【Safety & Healthy Splash Time】: The splash play mat moves a cool and...
- 【Easy to Set Up】: Plug it to a garden hose or PVC tubing ; Turn on the...
- 【Unique Unicorn Design】: Different with most of ROUND BLUE SEAWORD mat,...
- 【Fun for Toddlers & Kids】: Kids can enjoy running through the water to...
- 【Easy to Set Up】: Plug it to a garden hose or PVC tubing; Turn on the...
A Beach Ball SprinklerBeach Ball Sprinkler
This Toy Story4 Beach Ball Sprinkler is a simple way to provide lots of water fun for toddlers and young kids.
Just blow it up (an air pump is quickest!) and attach it to a regular garden hose.
Kids can leave it stationary and play in the spray, or roll it around the yard or back and forth to each other.
It’s 88 inches around, so a nice size for several little ones to play in together!
Age: 18 Months+
Sprinklers are an inexpensive way to provide outdoor water play for toddlers. Here’s a couple kid-friendly sprinklers to hook up to the hose for the little sprouts to run through.
The two below are rated for kids age 3 and up, but with supervision, toddlers can have a blast just playing in the spray.
Step2 Play and Shade Pool is the Perfect Outdoor Water Toy for ToddlersStep2 Play and Shade Pool
The Play and Shade Pool is just the right size for toddlers to sit and splash and cool off. This toddler water toy has been around several years and is still highly rated! Here’s some nice features.
- Has two toddler-size molded seats
- Funnel cups and water wheel feature
- Umbrella to keep away the burn
- Great size for small patio or yard
Note that this pool DOES include the umbrella. The description is a little confusing in that regard. This little pool is perfect for two young kids to splash around and keep cool!
Age: 2-6 years
Inflatable Pools for Babies and Toddlers
Last on our list of backyard water toys for toddlers are a couple of simple baby pools.
I like the Joyin Whale Baby Pool because it’s versatile and portable. You can take it to the beach for a shady place for your toddler to play, or use it in the yard as a pool. In cooler weather, you can fill it with plastic balls like these and use it as a mini ball pit!
The Sunset Glow Baby Pool is just a simple little pool with a comfy bottom that has amazing reviews and it super inexpensive. What more could you ask? You could use this one as a ball pit too!
Turn your backyard into a mini water park with a couple of these best outdoor water toys for toddlers. Your little ones will love having a fun way to cool off in the summer months!
**Details: Product prices and availability are accurate as of the date/time indicated and are subject to change. Any price and availability information displayed on amazon.com at the time of purchase will apply to the purchase of this product. Certain content that appears on this site comes from Amazon. This content is provided “as is” and is subject to change or removal at any time.